Friday, January 7, 2011

Y & T Bassist Phil Kennemore RIP 1953-2011



Y & T Bassist, Phil Kennemore dies at the young age of 57 from lung cancer.

WOW, that was some hard news to swallow. Growing up in the Bay Area, I am truly a long time Y & T (Yesterday and Today) fan. Frontman Dave Meniketti formed Y & T, the hard rock group, along with Phil Kennemore back in 1972 in Oakland, CA. Y & T has had a few member changes over the years but Phil and Dave were always there. I had heard last year that Phil was diagnosed with stage 4 Lung Cancer and was devastated. I didn't realize that in just a few short months of hearing that, he would be gone. On NYE 2010, there was a benefit for Phil Kennemore at the Avalon. I was trying to work out how I could go to the benefit but I missed it. I heard it was incredible.

Dave Meniketti confirmed the news of Phil's passing on a blogpost and also had the following tribute:

"As a musician, with those huge fingers, his bass playing was always loud, strong, and deep, filling the largest or smallest of stages equally," Meniketti wrote. "I will miss his sense of humor, his amazing wit, but most of all I will always miss not seeing him to my left on the stages I will play from this moment forward."

Phil was a great musician but also an all around great guy. He will be missed. Ryan put together a fan video to honor Phil and it is on youtube with this link and I will try and see how to upload it here.


We will miss you Phil but you will live in our hearts forever and with the music of Y&T.

~ Marisol

No comments:

Post a Comment